Senior Associate with over twenty years experience in general commercial litigation, property and building disputes, insolvency, estates and family law settlements.
“Winning, seriously – this is important. Firstly by avoiding disputes with effective planning and drafting; and where required, to be the ultimate advocate for my client when there is no recourse but to take a stand.”
“The utmost careful consideration and planning reduced into legally binding agreements would avoid many of the disputes that I see.”
“The world has globalised but local knowledge is still invaluable to achieving results.”
Some of Michael’s work:
- High profile commercial claim exceeding AUD50 million in relation to dispute between US based distributor and Australian based multi-national franchise, including jurisdictional issues as to the applicable law, discovery and interrogation of computer systems, interpretation of a contract, appearing at Security for Costs Application, and the relevant obligations and duties of the parties, and the forensic investigation and assessment of the damages. The case was run in the NSW Supreme Court, Court of Appeal and finally a High Court Leave Application as to part of the claim which related to the interpretation of business contracts in Australia.
- Acting for Receiver and Manager in regard to taking possession of a commercial property, finalising Supreme Court proceedings involving a commercial dispute relating to the property, and negotiating a settlement and fresh lease arrangements to the satisfaction of the various parties, including lessor, lessee and receiver manager.
- Defending claims on estate for family provisions and related but separate action for breach of inter vivos trust and fraud by jointly appointed trustee. Successful and substantial reduction to the claim amount resulting in benefits to both the remaining trustee and the beneficiaries.
- Negotiating the terms and conditions of developer’s sale contracts for large unit projects, total value exceeding AUD 400 million, on behalf of the real estate sales & marketing agent.
Representation of a spouse in a family law property dispute where the assets were in numerous jurisdictions throughout the world and involved trusts and complicated legal structures in Europe.
- Sale and purchase of businesses and related property transactions; and drafting partnership, shareholder and joint venture agreements.